Saturday 19 July 2014

Searching for Reality in a Confusing World

Me in fashionable Steward Tabard
"Searching for Reality in a Confusing World" is the strapline of this years Keswick Convention. The main title is "Really?".  I have just returned from Week 1 of 3 and had a fantastic time having volunteered to be a Steward.  Having been to the Keswick Convention over 25 years or so I have benefitted greatly from the ministry at Keswick.  This year's Bible teaching was once again of a terrifically high standard.  Thank you to Vaughan Roberts who led morning Bible Studies on Romans and a whole variety of speakers who preached on the Gospel of Mark in the evening worship.  In addition there were seminars on a range of subjects and a whole programme for children and young people. At a time when Bible illiteracy is arguably high even within many churches, let alone in British Society generally it is refreshing to be able to listen to scholarly, engaging and relevant exposition of God's Word.  http://keswickministries.org/ will enable you to find out more about the Keswick Convention and the wider ministry of Keswick Ministries.  

As I mentioned I shared in the work of Stewarding during this first week of the 2014 Convention and was deeply touched by the commitment and servant hearts of my fellow Stewards. Over the years I have been very grateful for the ministry of Keswick Stewards but I have to be honest and say that I had no idea that they had such a work-load which took them from 6.45am each morning until late at night.  I want to pay tribute to my fellow Stewards and their humility as they seek to serve Christ and those who go to the Convention.  They are but one team ensuring that the Convention can happen.  Joining them are musicians, technical staff, those dealing with money, the Convention Office, First Aiders, Prayer Team, Kitchen Staff and so many more.  Much of the ministry and work is unseen; all is essential.  Thank you God for so many wonderful people offering something of themselves.  These vital support teams ensure that speakers and preachers can share God's Word.

An even more fashionable Hoodie available
for Keswick Youth
As I reflected on this week's Convention I realised that the organisation behind it truly is remarkable.  An element of that organisation relies on discipline.  Discipline is not a particularly popular word nowadays in my humble opinion.  we live in a Society which is increasingly hedonistic and where "Me" can come first.  So doing what others want or say is not always welcome.  And yet discipline is an essential part of the Christian life.  So is self discipline.  The ability to sit under authority and the ability to train ourselves to to be consistent and committed are vital attributes of the Christian life.  I have been blessed by being shown those characteristics of discipline and self discipline in the lives of those around me in the Keswick Convention this past week.

I am privileged to be returning to the Convention with my wife and son for Week 3,  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment